When I was born back in the late ‘70’s, the outlook looked good; healthy baby, good size, lungs worked and I looked enough like my mum to assume there would be some legacy genetics that had been passed down from mother to daughter.
At around age 18, it became increasingly apparent that all was not well. There were obvious deficiencies in my character that were becoming more and more prominent the older I got. My shortcomings were not only detrimental to myself, but also to my future self, my future husband, children and home as well as the immediate and pressing concern of driving my mother up the wall.
I am Cleaning-Impaired.
I was not born with the desire to clean my home. My impairment creates many debilitating situations; dusting causes massive allergy attacks where my eyes will swell closed and I’ll sneeze for 3 days non-stop (this is actually true!). Reluctantly (HA!), I’ve learnt to make peace with the dust, if it lies still in an even coating on my surfaces we live together in copacetic harmony. I occasionally feel brave and pop a soft brush on my Dyson and simply vacuum the dust off the tops of our dressers, TV cabinets etc. It’s a sacrifice I must make to the Perfect-Mummy gods of the world, but one that over the years has brought me great peace, as I fill the cleaning void with ‘Better things to Do’ and ‘Watching Netflix’.
There are ways to live with my debilitating (according to my Mum) condition; beginning with lowering your domestic-diva standards and expectations…..and then lowering them again. Don’t misinterpret what I’m saying either, I love a clean, tidy house, and I regularly do housework, but it IS ‘work’, and I believe in working smarter not harder.
So, dear readers, I’m sharing with you some tips and tricks I’ve learnt over the years that allow me to keep our home at what I lovingly call, “Whip-Around Status”, ie surprise visitor will be at your door in 15 minutes? A quick whip-around will have the house looking a million bucks with minimal stress and effort.
Tips for Maintaining Whip-Around Status in Your Home
- Make the beds first thing every morning. This is time-consuming and hard to squeeze into a whip around. Do it early as you can’t hide an unmade bed!
- De-centralize cleaning supplies. Keeping ALL of your cloths and sprays in one place (ie under the laundry sink!) makes what can be a wee spit ‘n shine take a g e s. Keep a 3-in-1 Chux scourer and Silver Scourer in each bathroom and grout, tiles, shower glass and sinks can look fresh-as with a couple of wipes.
- Invest in a cordless vacuum, Whip-Around status is by definition ‘whipping around QUICKLY’, if you have to pull out the Big Vac every day chances are it just won’t happen.
- Big surfaces are eye catching – keep these clean and clear of clutter. I keep an empty storage basket in our hall cupboard ready to sweep off whatever is hiding our dining room table, so I can wipe it down quickly and move on.
– I like Chux Original Robuste for surfaces such as tables and benchtops.
- If you must dust, consider actually removing settled dust rather than just displacing it with a feather-duster – this is much more sensible for those of us with allergies. Thick, strong cloths work best for this task; I use a damp All-Purpose Absorbent cloth on suitable surfaces – just rinse and move on!
- Hide what you don’t have time to clean. What visitors can’t see won’t hurt them. Use that dishwasher, washing machine and cupboards for the purpose they were intended – putting stuff in!
- Keep entranceways clean and clear, first impressions can set the tone for the rest of a visit.
- Glass matters – dirty windows make everything feel dirty. Try using Chux Robuste with your glass cleaner, simply wash and reuse!
- When you’re in a hurry, spot-clean where it matters ie around the toilets. I keep some Chux Superwipes and disinfectant in the toilet for an every day, there-when-you-need-them clean-up ::::::::ew boys!::::::
- In a worst case, bomb-site-scenario, throw all the laundry, clutter, mess and toys in one room and shut the door. It takes a very ballsy visitor to question a shut door in someone else’s home!
The best advice I’ve ever been given around overcoming my horrendous shortfalls in the cleaning department is; if a job will take less than 2 minutes, attend to it right away.
Arm yourself with this can-do mentality and the right Chux product for the job and even those of us that are Cleaning-Impaired can make steps towards that magical wonderland free of dust and window streaks of all the mothers that went before us.
Check out my video below and let me know in the comments below which spot in your home needs some Chux love and I’ll hook one of you up with a $50 supermarket voucher to grab some supplies!
Comp closes 6/7/17, NZ residents only.