Mushrooms are up there on my faves list, alongside avocados and cheese. All three can usually be added to anything to instantly improve it.
Aside from cake.
Anyway, this recipe is amazing, I wish I could take credit for it (not that clever!) but I plan on making these ALL the time, the addition of lemon zest is genius I tell you! I used my pie maker and the recipe made four large pies. These delish Mushroom Pies are perfect winter warmers, they’re super-quick to whip up, inexpensive, filling and make an easy addition to your family meal plan.
Mushroom Pies Recipe
Recipe reproduced courtesy of meadowmushrooms.co.nz
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
2 onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
250g White Button ‘Pie’ Mushrooms
1 Tbsp fresh thyme
1/4 cup cream (I used 1/2 cup)
Zest of 1 lemon
Salt & pepper
1 packet flaky puff pastry sheets
- Heat oil and butter, sauté onions, garlic, mushrooms and thyme.
- Add cream and lemon zest and season to taste
- Grease muffin trays, pie tin or pie maker.
- Cut out pastry rounds to line bases, prick all over with fork.
- Fill with mushroom mixture
- Cover with pastry lid, brush edges with water and seal pies.
- Brush with whisked egg and bake for 30 minutes in over or until golden, or follow directions on pie maker.
- Enjoy with pesto and winter salad.