Thankfully I have survived this enormous pregnancy without spending too much on maternity clothes, in fact I think I have only purchased half a dozen actual ‘maternity’ items.
Dressing has been made moderately successful by purchasing staples in large (and now XL!) sizes. I found pregnancy jeans really uncomfortable so tights have been my go-to for the bottom half. Definitely the best in comfort, quality and price were a pair I picked up from KMart for $10 in the standard women’s section. Layering has been key, I have to go to work five days a week so I have had to maintain a level of business-casual. This has been made easier by being able to wear layers with a smart cardigan or woollen coat over the top (not that I can button them!).
From top left to right, these are my staples that have allowed me to layer, keep warm and comfortable – though I am now totally over them and just wish to fit some jeans and a slouchy sweat!
1. Oversized tanks: Cotton On (3 for $25)
2. Glassons Ponte Stitch Detail Leggings (On sale now for $29.99) these have a super wide elastic waistband so are seriously comfortable and
are a really heavy fabric so are a little more substantial than your average leggings.
3. Any old black leggings. I have worn standard sizing pairs more than maternity ones.
4. Patch Stripe Knit Maxi Skirt: (On sale now for $29.99)
5. Cardigans galore. I picked up this one in a Country Road sale in a larger size than normal and have loved having a nice bright pop of colour to slip on.
6. My trusty thrifted-on-Trade-Me Levi’s denim shirt. The length of this makes it ideal to wear in the weekends with tights and tunics.
7. Maya maternity T’s and tanks from The Warehouse. These have washed really well and work perfectly layered over a tank.