- Fitness, much better although NOT having fish n chips and a bourbon pre-game probably helped tonight.
- Bitch-face ref still hates me.
- I can’t walk, seriously. Both hamstrings are screwed, I was almost in tears driving home as it hurt so bad to keep my foot on the accelerator
- Our team name……wait for it “The Westie Mums”! I am SO in touch with my roots, Te Atatu’s calling……
- I caused this little Oompa Loomps goal attack to face plant tonight, not intentionally you understand, but it was the best faceplant I have EVER witnessed – & she totally deserved it, she is one of those sneaky contact people, and when she gets called up she’s all like “aw what?”. Not me, I know when I have been bad and I “STAND DOWN GOAL DEFENCE“. Yawn.
- Dave came to watch tonight, he was quite excited, he has never seen me PARTICIPATING, or GETTING INVOLVED.
- The best part about my team is our name; The Westie Mums. Shore girl over here has lost her bearings!
I am Goal Defence and if
I CONTACT ONE MORE TIME I WILL BE SENT OFF THIS COURT!
(I put that in red so you could see just how much the ref liked me and my friendly style of defence).
Here I am in action;
Just jokes, even I know that they are playing some kind of rugger, but that looks like fun! (doesn’t that blonde chick look eerily like me though?)
So, I am in a netball team. I’m not sure how this happened but in a moment of insanity I told one of Ethan’s teachers that, yes, I would LOVE to join her netball team. I haven’t played netball in approximately 12 years and I was fine with the idea until this afternoon when I frantically began cleaning to distract me from thoughts of my imminent court debut. I even used furniture polish ON THE FURNITURE. That’s how nervous I was. I even drank a bourbon. But I was still nervous (this wasn’t such a good idea in hindsight).
I also didn’t know anyone in my team.
But I was brave and I went to the rec centre and played my little heart out. I had to do two toss ups cause there was no way I was letting go of the ball once I had my mitts on it. I lost both of them but I put this down to the fact that I forgot to cut my nails and I didn’t want to scratch the shit out of my opposition on the first day. That would have made me a hot favourite with the ref for sure. I got one mean intercept and once I was able to navigate the millions of lines on the court and figure out which ones were for netball I was ok.
We lost 24-14 but we played the best team in our grade so the girls did not think that was too bad. Did I mention that the game was 40 MINUTES LONG and we had NO SUBS? It was a miracle I didn’t throw up after I landed one of many many contact-inducing leaps at the opposing goal attack.
This sport business is hard work. It’s really going to cut into my sitting on the couch and inter-webbing time. On the plus side, Ethan should be happy that mama now has a hobby other than taking showers.